Hello and welcome to my BoostMyBio post!
First the basics – My name’s Summer Short (people often mishear this and think I said summer shorts which makes me think of old men wearing zany Bermuda shorts). I live in North Texas with my hubby and three loud, often hilarious kids.
Whether it’s suspenseful, sweet, or fantastical. I love exploring new worlds and points of view through stories.
In college, I studied Journalism and wrote for my University’s newspaper. I went on to work as a Public Relations writer and editor in the corporate world for several years. That background gave me lots of experience in having red lines slashed through my words with suggestions on how to improve things. I’m a firm believer that everybody benefits from an editor. 😁
And now for a smidgen about the book. My current WIP, Maggie Stone and the Spore King, is my second completed novel. It’s middle-grade speculative fiction with plenty of mystery as well as a creepy forest, best friends, strange fungus, bioluminescence, shifting family dynamics, and STEM. My main character is twelve-year-old Magnolia Stone, an aspiring naturalist bent on scientific glory, plus her best friend, Nate, an avid believer in all things paranormal. Something mysterious has arrived in the small town of Shady Pines and they’re just the pair to figure it out. Maggie’s sure science can solve all their problems, but Nate knows spooky stuff when he sees it. They’ll have to put their heads together to tackle what lurks in Old Man Bell’s woods.
And now just for fun, 7 random facts:
- Hardly anything has touched me and made me feel alive like a good book.
- When I was little, I had a crush on Destro (GI Joe villain) and dreamed about being Agent Scarlet.
- In the above dream, Scarlet could also turn into a My Little Pony at will. Anytime second grade got tough, I was flying out of there, headed to the battlefield.
- I think spiders are kinda cute. Gigantic eyes, leg whiskers, neon fangs. What’s not to love? No? Alright, keep scrolling, we can still be friends.
- As a teen, I played the drums (quite poorly) in an all-girl punk band. Consequently, that band never did anything more than jam in the members’ garages. Though a mixtape of our sessions is in existence somewhere…
- Anne of Green Gables put me on a lifelong quest for kindred spirits. And…“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think.”
- I love nature. Bare trees in the winter. Planting flowers in the spring. When I’m stressed, there’s nothing like sitting outside and watching the clouds and the wind in the trees to calm me down.
TV shows and movies – Psych, Lost, Wayward Pines, Twelve Monkeys, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Poldark, The Office, Fringe
Books – Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, The Giver, The House of the Scorpion, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Hunger Games, The Night Gardener, The War that Saved My Life, Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes, All the Light We Cannot See, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Fever 1793, Rebecca, The Great Gilly Hopkins, Persuasion, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Lord of the Rings